Sometimes web clients (e.g. web browsers) experience connection problems. This article provides information on diagnosing those connection problems.
This FAQ covers diagnosing connection problems for web browser clients, iOS clients and Java/Android clients.
Diagnosing a connection problem
By following the steps in this article and sending the information to support it should be possible to understand why the connection to Pusher is not succeeding.
Native clients e.g. iOS or Java
If you are using an iOS application or using an iOS library please install the Pusher Diagnostics app, run it and submit the results to us along with any additional information you can about the problem.
We'll then get back to you as soon as possible.
If you are experiencing problems with a Java/Android application or when building an application using the pusher-java-client library, please provide us with the following information when contacting support:
- What version of Android are you using?
- Are you using a device or an emulator?
- Are you using an SSL connection?
- Are any errors logged?
Runtime environment information
Please provide the following information about the runtime environment:
- What web browser are you using? e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome, Opera
- What is the version of the web browser?
- What operating system is the web browser running on? e.g. Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.7.2
- Are any software antivirus or firewall systems running?
Once we have this basic information you should follow these steps:
- Go to https://test.pusher.com/
- Please leave this page running for approximately 3 minutes and then copy and paste the information that appears beneath the "Event Log" text and send it to us.
- Firefox: Tools -> Web Developer -> Error Console
- Internet Explorer: Press F12 -> Console
- Opera: Tools -> Advanced -> Error Console
Within the test page click the "Say Hello" link. Does a "Hello" message appear underneath the "Messages" header?
The penultimate step is to run the diagnostics application. Please go to http://pusher-diagnostics.herokuapp.com and collect the information that it gathers.
Submit your results to Pusher support
Once you have the information from the Basic Tests and the Diagnostics please post it in a new discussion in the Pusher support forum or send an email to mailto:email@example.com.